Friday 26 June 2009

Over The Top - Pt 2

So I leave Fort William about 2 or something. Am walking with the lovely Kristin who has today decided to get her hair peroxided and is looking absolutely up for a little stroll. When I first met Krusty she had dreads so a hair change is not a biggy for this girl.. As we walk to the shopping precinct (is there any better place to start a run ?) I realise that I dod not even have a photo of me crossing the line, must mean I am not finished.. So we take the stairs down (as opposed to the wee path up) and then go through the tunnel under the main road (there seems to be a pattern developing here ) We start having a bit of a chat then we are past mcgrogans the cooked crap outlet and we are into the little path .. We can smell the sea and I am feeling at home.. We make a little stuffup at the turn after the houses, and ened up flagging down a cab to get directions back to the Great Glenn.. The girl in the cab has had a decent evening or maybe the sight of 2 mad runners with head torches coming out of the night is a bit freaky ? Anyway we get back on track, over the railway, and then we are through the houses and we start to have a little run.. Just doing lamposts then walking, but by the time we hit the sea past the swings and the mad toadstoool garden (I kid you not !) we are along the waterfront and doing 2 lamps .. The grass is soft beneath my feet, which are feeling it a bit from the last few miles..

At the end of the playing fields we take a right straight up to the canal, probably skipping about 1/2 a mile, but I reckon this is like the last bit of the way where we go straight - ir just does not make sense.. Then we are approaching on Banavie, first checkpoint down.. So we had a little bit of a parking prob, but soon I have a hot bowl of Stewie cooked heavy soup in my hands and I am in Mikey's jacket... This is as close to 100 as I am going to get so mentally I am glad to be there. I am about 2 hrs behind schedule, but that is old news... And then we are off again, Kristin has the tracker on - I hav.e been saving the battery. It's a lovely early morning, no major lights except our head torches. and we are making good time... We are run trotting and as the path is by the canal it is dead flat and so easy.. It reminds me of course of the Glasgow to Edi, but not by much. Then we come across some cows.. A bull... And a mummy cow.... and some little baby cows... The big guys aren't that happy to see them so I do my best Paul Hogan and .. nahh, we just turn off our torches and go past with the minimum of fuss, the daddy gives a bit of a snort and starts pawing the ground, so we proceed steadily... (maybe Krusty has a different view :-)

It is time to drop the torches anyway so we crack on with it.. Am still having the occasional gel and my nuun, and the miles are clicking off.. Def below 65 to go now and am feeling ok.. And then we are at Gairlochy, we have had a great run... Stewie has setup a storm... As have the midges... Ohh they were friendly, the guys are getting eaten...I take a seat and the machine clicks in.. I get my porrige, which I put a stinger into (sensational !) and I get my first coffee for 5 months.. This is what I have been waiting for....Stewie puts the burner on to kills a few of the locals ... I have had Coke for the first time yesterday as well but there is nothing like coffee... Matt is looking ready to go so with a full tum we crack off up the hill...

I have know Matt for a few years now from working with him in RBS, we have a bit of banter about the cricket and he is a solid bloke.. We have run a few times toether at lunch time .... And so we are going up the hill, and getting into our stride.. We come through the pretty but unfortunately we miss out on the fairy grotto (once I again, I kid you not !) because of fallen trees.. By the way, if I am mising out bits here I hope you will forgive me.. As we are going along the road, Loch Lochy (what a great name hey !) on our right, glistening in the morning sun, the birds starting their easy early morning call we see 2 stags on the hill, looking at us with all the disinterest we desserve.. Then a wee doe clambers down to the right of us.. Just having a chat with Matt and clicking through the miles....Before long we are in the camping area of clunes, don't stop here too long, but long nough for the machine to click in again.. Stewie is doing a sensational job... Mikey is strolling about and I think Kristin might be having a little kippo..

Off we go and I am still looking at my phone which Matt threatens to take from me -pushy bloke that he is :-) and then I am really needing to STOP for a short time. A few moments, some desecrated thistle bushes, and several kilo's lighter we are on our way again.. Having good chat with Matt, it really is a cracking morning, my 2nd on the hoof of the last 2 days and I am really enjoying this. Relatively flat, but with e few undulations to make it interesting.... Taking it easy, but probably breaking 4's at a push.. And then suddenly we have done a lazy 12 early on a Sunday morning and we are going around the Loch into Laggen Locks. Just a couple of blokes having a bit of a trot... How hard is that.. That is the last I will see of Matt today, he is back off to Edi on the 9:15 bus, and I am stoked with our trot..

Mikey is joing me in Laggan Locks, were we take the opportunity to look at my feet... Not very pretty, and very sore.. We put some gause pads on the balls of both feet (or was that in Clunes ?) but it is pretty nippy.. I get some more food from Chef Stewie, and something to drink I think. I also get weighed, and I am still within 3 kg of start weight in Milngavie so am ok,, Norman is up and about as well, Kristin is there and then Mikey and I head off..

Mikey is also from RBS, and a part of our hursday running gang.. He is about 6'3 or 4 and although he is not as big as his wee brother is a pretty big lad ...He used to run 200m's very quickly so is used to a bit of a trot.. For a big bloke he moves quite gently on his feet .. The path here is a belter, soft forrestry track.. Laggan Locks marked approx 53 (or a Fling / Double Marathon) to go so another milestone down.. We have passed the canal boat where the Glee Club stopped in pi55ing rain last year and after a coolish welcome (what is it about wet, smelly runners that put people off >>) had a great soup and coffee and a chat with the bloke.. He has a great knot in there - check it out...

So Mikey and I will be running to Fort Augustus, the last Fort and the start of the last Loch..We have about 10 miles or so.. Once again, really good underfoot. Mike is trotting along, we are at the south side of Loch Oich, away from the cars.. Running along an old rail route, it is very peaceful... Chatting away and talking about life and stuff ... Just getting through the miles.. We eventually come to the iron rail bridge and double back on ourselves and then head into Aberchalder, where I see Krisitin with her flaming white hair in the distance and then we are amongst the machine..

A check of the things that are at the end of my legs confirms they are a bit ugly but no point changing.. We get some food, and off we trot... Fort Augustus awaits. By now the sun is getting up, it is a glorious day, the path is dead flat and the pace is good.. Just running and walking, walking and running, one foot in front of the other, oh lets make it to that fence line and then break, oh there is a yellow flower 100m from here, lets run to that, take a stroll, one foot in front of the other.. Can feel the sun on my Aussie cricket hat... Map is only telling half the story, but the end of the range of hills can only point to one place.

Mikey has been running well and once again has been great company, and we are there.. .Fort Augustus, bost trips, shinty teams, Customs boat (I think ?) canal side chippy and the full machine.. Gaz, Merv and Mike, who have been kipping back in Fort William have joined back in for the rest of the day... Matt has taken the bus home, Norman, Stewie and Kristin are all there, it is a lovely sunny day, and at the end of this Loch where the monster sleeps and will not be disturbed by me is the goal..

Loads of food, scoffed down much to the disgust of the team.. I am putting suncream on... The guys are telling me how good I look... MY feet are knacked, so I change back into my black ones for some stupid reason (I will change them again in 10 miles).. Am faffing a bit, but getting rechargeely and sitting on my seat, lovely fresh strawbs as well... Can't be unhappy.. About to start a little 22 miler with my mate Norman after which we will be in Drumnadrochit.. The machine eventually kicks me out, I say thanks to Mikey and off we go...

Up the hill past Morags Lodge where saintly people who make Macaroni Cheese for tired wet and very hungry runners late at night abide. Myself and Norman are chatting away.. We have run so many miles togther this year as we prepared for the Fling, Normans first ultra. We first met a few year back and kids swimming, I spied his Loch Lomond marathon t-shirt and we started chatting after that .. Took a few years for our first run and beer but have made up for that since ! So we are plodding along, run walk etc. A bit more up and down, and the path harder underfoot.. A good chat, well actually now I am just getting into the stride of completion....I don't really remember much of this bit.. I know that I am running with my mate and I just go with the flow. I am thinking of the last time I did this section when myself and the Glee Club ran through the rain to Incermoriston so we would not have as much to do the next day.. Getting there we went to the pub, only to be almost foreceably ejected by the rudest &*(&*() t&*()&()& wa&*&*%% etc in the whole world. I hope he has left there, would not sell us a pint coz we were wet, would not even give us a cup of tea. Very rude ! But not today.. Temperature is getting up there and a bit uncomfortable but can't do much about that ..

After another short but relieving stop, we cut down the forrestry track and run along the road to Invermoriston.. Mike come out on his bike to meet us then we run down the road, around the bend and we are another checkpoint down.. I am pretty broken here, not mentally, but sore.... Everything takes over... My friends look after me... I get a massage to ease my back which is really struggling with the compression of the decents.. Legs are feeling strong... I lie on the grass whilst an Asian family sit nearby having their picnic and looking in bemusement.. I eat, I drink, I have filter coffee.. Big Gaz grabs me a Magnum, you gotta be happy.... I put my gold shoes back on for the rest of the day, best leave well enough alone...

Past the friendliest corner store in the world (they make up for the plank in the hotel ) where we went last year.. They have a river running under their shop you know..

Now we get a little bit interesting, the next 2 hills really do it for me.. 136 miles in and the climb out of IM requires focus.. Not as much as the one out Altsigh... That is the worst of the 2 days as we climb up to nearly 1000ft above the Loch for some sensational views but you have to earn them... It is warm, and I am having to do quite a bit of work.. Norman is just strong beside me, chatting away as we go.. We have been here before, training on the 7 hills in early Feb, up our local Corstorphine Hill, down to Crammond.... One foot in front of the other.. What a view, switchback , what a view, switchback, what a view, switchback ok I am getting the message, but give me a break, too much of a good thing and all that .. Finally after a good 40 or 50 mins we get to the top.. It really was a grind and I am hot, my feet are nipping and although not going to stop, I need a moment to collect...

Have you read this in a one-er ?? I have been typing now for about 2 1/2 hrs.. It is tiring me out.. But then we are nearly at the end.. Thats the thing, if you keep going you do get to the end.. It must get closer...

Luckily Gaz and Mike have found a way up the hill near Altsigh and I get some food and a drink.. I think I make a bow as we get close to the car... It is great to see them.. We have to keep going, so it's through Balbeg and then we are on roads, but not before the downhill of course which is really doing things for my back.. It is hear I say to Norman that I am finally stopping running.. I will finish this but I am done so now must just walk it in.. I am not unhappy about this, you change and re-assess and crack on.. I have less than a marathon to go...

We are through the little farms and countryside, the hills are behind us.. Walking ok, I rememeber this from last year with Aly, and we were making great time... I do NOT remember that last bastard of a hill though... Maybe it is not that bad.. We come down off into Drumnadrochit and continue on the road (the Cycle route) as opposed to the path to the left... Probably saves me a mile or so, but with the cost of the steeper decent.... My back is really nipping now, but I am not done.. My mate is by my side, and I am closer..

Drumnadrochit ... 18 to go... Apparently now I have the "scarey starey eyes" according to Norman.. The full machine is in play.. Stewie and Mikey have the barby out.. Kristin, Gaz and Merv are there. Mike is sorting things out .. I think to myself at what a lucky person I am .. Everyone has come up here for one reason only, to drag a body to Inverness.. I can't pay them, I can't thank them enough.. If I fail they will no doubt say the right words, but everyone will be gutted... I can only do the one thing we set out to do, otherwise it will have been a wasted day..I am sore, and tired, but I know if not today then I will have to wait a year to come back here... and I will be sore, and tired, but a year older, and with a yeear of coulda shoulda woulda behind me.. And I am not that bad.. I still have a choice, I can stop.. It is not like I am doing something really hard.. I am not trekking 20 miles through African bush with a bucket on my head to grab food and water for my kids.. I am not fighting a disease or doing anything really serious.. I have my friends, I have my legs, and so we go on.. I get another great massage to ease things off.. I say cheerio to Norman, what a great run we have had..Say Cheerio to Mikey as he will travel home with Norman.. I phone Shirl and it is great to hear her voice..

I am walking with Gaz and Merv... I am high, walking hard for the first 2 miles out of town, then we go up the hill onto the moor behind.. Gaz and Merv are arguing about the height of the hill which amuses me for a while.. I am not talking much, but I am moving.. Upwards, we even take in the lookout .. Finally we are up on the moor, and going through the ex forest track where we get to the top of the moor. I lie down and have a stretch.. It is quite hard underfoot and I am getting a bit cold, so I borrow Mervs waterproof trousers.. I am just going now.. It is a nice evening, but towards the end of this section we get some light drizzle.. We go past the bush cafe's (must stop there one day ! ) and then we are on the road and Mike and Stewie are waiting for us.. I say cheerio to Stew as he holds a brolly above my chair in the rain, he has done such a job today Gaz goes back with him to get his car from DD, Mike and Merv and I plod on... We finally get to Blackfold. I am asking Mike how far, and he reminds me it does not matter.. `

Massage, coffee with Stinger, somethign to eat, 9 miles to go, stretch, new trousers, lying on a blow up mat of some sort.. I ask out loud how a bloke can be so lucky to have such good friends who have given up so much of their time for this. I am just so grateful for all they have done for me today.. One foot in front of the other..

I am with Mike and Kristin .. Midges, 9 miles to go, one foot in front of the other, Headlight on, run into the circle, soft forest path, glimpses of lights, soft path, exploding backside, one foot in front of the other, trees, chat about cricket. Mike is in front, looking out the path, he does tri's, and this year we went for our first run together... He is an artisan in every respect, 100 % quality.. He put me at the start line 160 miles ago and we are going to finish this.. The circle of light is hypnotic, the forest muffles footfall, the chat is incidental, I am isolated but not alone in my own world.. I am chatting with Krusty, no cows here.. One foot in front of the other. repeat, repeat repeat.. The circle of light is hypnotic... The trees and the clatter of a bird taking off..

We get out of the forest.. The lights are below us.. I have a stretch and a quick massage.. We take ages to come down the hill.. Another crick.. One foot in front of the other, keep on.. Through the hospital, past the houses, under the underpass, pass the golf club, one foor after the other, down the river, over the bridge, one foot in front of the other. The circle of light is bigger as the street lights are on, but the zone of my vision is fixed.. 8 ft in front, one foot in front of the other.... Into the town, lost a bit so ask some park inspectors where to go.. Onward behind the sports ground as we pass where I finished my last marathon.... Over the bridge, Gaz and Merv join us.. Through past the tree, over the raging river, it's noise wakes me ... but I can't go on.. I don't want to feel like this when I finish and we are 300m from the end and I am on the ground getting a twist in.. I am NOT feeling like this.. onward, along the river, photos out...

Shirl, Kirsty, Caroline, Mike, Gaz, Merv, Kristin, Stewie, Mikey, Norman, Matt,John, are all there with me.. Past Lucy the VW, past the backpackers.. Up the hill, to the sign... It's done..

2 comments:

  1. Well done , Keith. ..... Wipes tear from cheek.

    Glad I was able to share just a bit of it with you.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, read it in a oner, mate. crackin' stuff. Inspirational, my friend.

    ReplyDelete