Sunday 7 June 2009

Fears, Tears and Beers

Thanks to all who have commented and read the start of these ramblings.. Can see how this can become addictive as I was lying in bed last thinking what could I write.. Oh dear...

So the week started ok - even managed a couple of runs - was out on Sunday for a little 5 miler up my local hill (Corstorphine in Edinburgh.. Monday about 8 or 9 at a very easy pace with my mate Norman and one of my support crew Merv.. Went up Blackford Hill in Edi. Yesterday I went to the FASIC physio for the last session on my dodgy backside.. Am sure it will be ok - just need to get the first 30 miles under my belt.. Aside from that been getting together my kit, my food and etc.. And doing more thinking...

Today was all about the top of the Loch... Always a particular low for me as I really struggle to get going from Inversnaid - I hate it hate it hate.. Worse than Brussel Sprouts. I just want to get it over with and Derrydarroch and my support crew.. Except this year, this is closed for support... Just as well in the Fling I tried to make it mentally a much better section.. I reckon I did in some ways, so the extra mile or so to Carmyle won't be a bother.. and once you are there, there is only a little bit of mud, a little hill or 2 and then auchtertyre... which is only a short stroll to Tyndrum....

So all ok - until today ... Some some sad sad news... It seems I am cursed and I am not sure if I can go on.. The worst of it is I do not even know the extent of my grief.. As some may know, I give up all alcohol when I am training for this race.. Since Jan 7 I have had 1 small bottle Brahma beer and 1 pint (all in 1 night !!) and a small sip of fiz on Saturday last to celebrate the graduation from the OU of my good friend at home and my main support man Mike. At the end of the race I look forward to a bottle of the finest beer in the whole world - Emu Bitter... Now you cannot get this in the UK - so my Dad mails me a carton from Perth (it works out at about 80 quid to send it, but I REALLY like this beer... So imagine my anguish and tears when I get the Non-Delivery note from the postie "Package not delivered - it's too damp - broken bottles ??". So I have a nervous couple of days till I get out there and see what the damage is.. A carton has 24 x 375ml bottles of the amber nectar - I am hoping for a low hit rate..

At least I still have 4 left over from last year - here is one of the little fellas with another wonderful glass object...

No comments:

Post a Comment