Wednesday 24 June 2009

Over the Top (Part 1)

Am trying to capture my thoughts on the weekends events in the same way that Ian Beattie has said - before they all fade and get glossed over. The main problem is that having been focussed on doing this for over 3 years, I am struggling to contain this in something suitable and pithy enough for a blog.. But lets have a crack anyway ..

So finally the Friday arrives, all the planning, talking, thinking, training, worrying etc is over and done with.. Did not have a good day, despite all the best efforts of the girls, just did not feel good at all. Had a little sleep in and then pottered about the house in the AM. Managed a couple of hours in the arvo which was good, then got up and had my Milngavie Butchers Steak Pie (sensational !) and Mashed Potato for dinner.. My big girl was off to guide camp, so the house was a bit of a flurry with all sorts of kit (running and guide camp) but it was all good.. Had dinner with my wee girl and then managed to get back to bed for 2 hrs of dozing.. Picked up Lucy the yellow VW combi from my mate Andy's house at 9:00PM, loaded up my kit and headed out to Ratho to pick up Mike for the drive to Milngavie… Still not feeling good, but at least on the road. Got a hug and wishes from Mikes wife Sandy and the 2 boys Zak and Ben and we were off.. Ride across listening a combination of Wolfmother, AC/DC and The Datsuns.

The scene at 11:30 PM at Milngavie Train Station is always a belter… Old friends you haven't seen for a year, new ones you have never met before. Davie gave me my Wallaby bar as promised, had a cuddle with Dario and got my tracker, got my pretty bracelets from Sean (WTF was the point of the fluro bangle ?), then gave blood and wee.. Said my cheerios to Mike with the promise that we were going to do this and then it was time to go.. Caught up with Ian King, Jeannie Beattie, Dave Waterman, Martin Hooper, DQ and lots of other folks and then it was time to start.. Still not feeling good but hey ho not feeling bad.. Was at the start line of the WHW race, with 150 other determined folk, all of us about to embark on our own mission together..

Kept it cool for the first little while, managed to run with Jim Robertson for a 1/2 mile which was sensational for me as I spent about 50 miles in his company sweeping last year and he is a true gent, was really sad for him on Monday when I did not see him on the list. All good for the first 5 miles or so, going at a fair clip, banged on the windows of the Pirate Support vehicle and made em jump.. Having a good banter and getting into stride, probably going a bit quick for this early but feeling good with it. First inspiration part of the day was coming down into the Beach Tree, running with Chris Moon.. Had only heard of Chris and to see him running along with his blade foot and apologising that he could not keep the gates open because of his missing arm was a truly memorable thing for me.. As I have said in a previous post - It's Not that Hard !

Nothing really to report to Drymen - I never stop here or Balmaha so I just went through the checkpoint and waved at the few faces I could see in the gloom.. Going through the forrest I caught up with my good mate the Pirate and Martin Hooper the Paratrooper and had a bit of banter with them and Jon .. They were going ok, but they looked like they wanted to be alone together and have a cuddle so I moved ahead just as we were coming to the foot of Conic Hill :-).. Once again, followed their progress throughout the day and knew they were getting their moneys worth and so stoked to find out they had both secured goblets ..

Coming down off Conic met DQ who was taking it easy on the decent (very unlike him !) - we would spend the next 70 miles leap frogging eachother… Mike had left me a bag at Balmaha which I scoffed and then it was off to Rowardennon.. Am sure I saw Aly MacPherson here in this stage.. Feeling ok, and knew at this stage that I would not be having any problems with the date muscle / left hammy that had annoyed me for the previous 9 months.. All that physio worked ! R'dennon was good - am about 20 mins ahead of target pace and am really trying to keep my checkpoint times down in the early stages. Did have my customary porridge and a can of coke.. Also got rid of my leggings, what a welcome relief !! So first milestone - 1 marathon down, 5 and 1/2 to go..

Had a great next section - ran and had some great chat with a few newbies who were going well. Paid homage to the concrete plynth of love and felt good and strong going in and out of Inversnaid.. Thanks to the Rescue folk who were manning the checkpoint

Next stage was ok - was worried about it because I hate it, and because of the extra distance but in the end it was not too bad.. Gave the folks from the BBC Adventure Show one of my best put on Aussie accents (I was wearing an Aussie Hat - no corks - at this stage to complete the cliché !) as I went past.. They must have had a great day for filming ! Great to get the water at Balmaha, ran some more with DQ, and past Neil MacRitchie too I think… Still feeling pretty good, but was looking forward to meeting Mike at Carmyle..

And finally we get there ! Phew .. First person I see if Murdo McEwan who has been a great friend and provided such great support and advice over the past year.. He was really rooting for me to meet my goal of sub 23 and it was great to see him.. Then I see Lucy the Yellow Combi and I have my first little emotional bit.. I always have these, where the mental pressure of maintaining discipline for mile after mile takes its tole.. So I have a sit down and Mike is asking me what I want and I can feel the tears welling up and I just ask for a minute to compose and then everything is ok again…. He is just seemlessly doing stuff around me, getting me food, drink, being my mate and just chatting and talking about other things .. Am not there for long it seems and it is off over the hill … Am on pace at this time for my sub 23

More chat with DQ, more up and down, and then seeing Aly again .. Aly, Neil, Stan Bland, DQ, Ellen, Eryk and I all did the Great Glen last year and we are all so close in time at this stage … Aly is just demolishing the hills behind Crianlarich and making it look so easy .. I am feeling ok and not having my St Fillans dip that usually hits me .. Get to Auchtertyre and see John Kennedy, who after waiting for the cutoff time, will join me later in the race… He is the reason that I started and finished my first race in 2002, and seeing him is a great boost… Also see the lovely Lee who gives me news of the Pirate.. Mike gives me more food (not sure what ?? ) and I kick on … Am thinking at this stage of the finish to the Fling, how I was doing this very section with my mate Norman (who I will be running with in about 24 hrs time) and how we were cracking on for a sub 11:30 time… A bit slower than that now, but not too bad and still around 12:20 at Tyndrum so well on pace for sub 24 (though sub 23 is starting to slip..). A quick drink in Tyndrum and then up the hill… John catches me about 2 miles later and it is off to Bridge of Orchy… We are running ok, coming into B.O.O we see Mark Collins coming the other way looking for Aileen …

Mike has to do a job (work and pleasure ??!!!) so misses us at B.O.O but I see Tom Collins which is great - I ran some with Tom in 2003 and he with me in 2004 so it is great to see him.. I get over the hill at B.O.O and mark off another milestone - I am now 1/3 of the way on my journey .. Feeling pretty good all things considered. Mike meets us at the bottom of the hill next to the hotel and we get a quick bit to eat and then Rannoch Moor ...

I love Rannoch Moor ... It is Scotland at its finest, and raw.. I always get to think about things, about my friends, old and new... The arvo is clear, the skies blue, it is not too hot, not too cool. John and I are making good time, DQ is behind me, Aly is continuing to destroy the hills in front and it is just sensational... What a place to be, 65 miles or so of running behind you and scenery that just blows you away with every step... John is bigging me up about the next bit and telling me how I am going to do it and what a great achievement it will be.. Running with someone who has done the Devil in 6:10 is a real boost, and hearing his words really spurs me on.. We crest the final rise and the Buchaille is below us, and the white oasis of Kingshouse. I pass Ali who is getting some food.. We walk off the last bit of the track, then John gets me to run it in to Kingshouse, "look strong" he says, "Go in strong for your team", so I do and there are my mates Gary and Mervyn who have supported me in all but one of my 5 races and I know that the goblet is mine.. 23 miles separate me from the end of the WHW and it is only a question of time.

In 07 Merv and I started out from KH and unbeknownst to me he had only just recovered from a major flu .. So he was unable to run that quick and I ended up leaving him at the foot of the Devils.. This year he had a monkey to get off his back, which he did in style.. We had some hot food and got some clothes sorted and then were off... Knew for certain at this stage that we could not make sub 23 without some sort of super effort and so decided to ensure the sub 24 .. I guess in hindsight, the Great Glen always was looming on the horizon, but I don't think I would have done it regardless. Things just did not seem as fluid as in 07.. We made really good time to Altnafaid where Mike was waiting and then up and over the hill we went.. Last year I did this with Jim Robertson at 01:30 AM in a 50 mph gale with sleet and rain and so to go up in such a lovely night was glorious.. The views from the top were sublime and once again I was just so glad to be alive...

Was pretty good coming off the hill, making ok progress and not too bad on the quads.. Merv was just powering along, and we had a great chat about all things important, mostly cricket ! Mike came up on his bike out of Kinlochleven to see what we needed... Had a pit stop and then made it down the hill.. Saw Murdo in front of the Leisure Centre, I think he knew I had missed a sub 23, but I could not tell him why I was not that disappointed... Went and had my weight done and a hug from the wonderful Geraldine, some food and then again we go.. I have 4 hrs 15 to go 13 miles to break 24..

Climb up and out was not too bad, then about 4 miles across Lairig Mor I am half way.. This is another great boost... It is downhill from here.. I am running with my mate big Gaz, who always strides much better than me but is great company. We have known eachother for close on 18 years having worked together in BP Kwinana and we also share a love of cricket.. So we are cutting through the miles, he has a GPS tracker doofa that does a good job of telling us where we are.. About 1/2 way to Lundavra we come across Eryk Grant.. He is toiling big time - a sub 21 man he is not having a good day.. He tells me his quads are knackered but he looks great to me so I tell him so.. We to and fro for the next little while - him passing me on the flats, me him on the downs.. DQ passes us as well with words like "Time to get this over and done with".. He is looking strong.. I am feeling ok, but going along at my pace.. Did not stop in Lundavra for more than a time check - and to meet Eryk's wife (?) and then we are on our way again.

the last 6 are a blur .. What am I thinking ? I have done it ... I am 89 miles out and I have a forrest and a hill to go before my 5th goblet.. I am feeling strong, feet are quite sore, but am going along at 3.5 to 4 miles / hr.. A couple of people pass us going through the forrest and I am happy to let them go.. Coming out of the trees I get a bit of a kick on ... I see some lights behind me and I say to Gaz "They can pass, but they will need to work for it " He is up for it and wo we start running down the hill and make it almost to Braveheart till Eryk catches me .. He has clearly sorted out his quads.. I am so happy to see him and wish him well, and he tells me that he is coming in with me.. So we continue on and get onto the road where I get passed by 2 others - including a storming but silent Marco :-) ! Eryk has kicked on, but I am with my mate Gaz, Merv and Mike who trot the last bit with me.. Eryk is slowed down just by the roundabout and we jog to the finish together.. Just before the Leisure Centre I see my next support crew waiting and I am determined to show them I am feeling good..

We get to the doors, which Eryk holds open and insists I go through.. What a gent and great running partner.. So we finish in 23:37 and share a wee dram of Glengoyne from the quaich handed to us by the lovely Lee... It is quite surreal now... I see Ian Beattie, Marco, DQ.. I get my blood taken.. My friends come in (they are ready for the next bit ) to shake my hand and ask me if I need anything... I go and grab a shower and chat to a few guys ... The shower is sensational and I could stay there all night ... My feet are a little bit rubbish but other than that I am fine.. I am not done.. I get a new shirt, and shorts and bidding farewell to the shower ( I am getting really comfortable !) head out into the foyer.. DQ is still there, and is the only one in the whole race who knows what I am going to do, he waves and me and wishes me luck.. Lee also comes over and tells me I am a madman..

I see Aly is now in - she has cracked 24 and is over the moon.. I ran with her quite a while on the Great Glen so know how much this means to her.

My lovely friend Kristin is with me, and she is a qualified sports masseuse.. I know it is a bit of brass neck, but I ask the lovely girls if we can use one of their tables... I am so grateful when they say yes.. Kristin works on my legs and tells me they are feeling great and better than any time in the last 3 months that she has been working on me.. I put on my leggings, some dry shoes, look for something to eat and say hi to the folk in the kitchen,,then realise I am faffing about .. Needed the break, but also need to start again..

So I walk out the door.. Mike, Merv, Gaz, Kristin, Stuart, Matt, Mike S and Norman are all there. I am still dithering, getting this thing and that... But I don't need anything.. I am approx 2hrs behind my schedule, but it is a clear night. I am feeling good, and I have 8 people with me who are only there for one thing.. I go down the stairs, leaving the Leisure Centre behind me, turn left and start walking.. 95 down, 72 to go.. I am going to do this..

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant report. Full of all the emotion that I have discovered the race does to you. Can't wait for part two you Crazy Aussie fool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyson Macpherson26 June 2009 at 10:57

    keith, you are amazing what an achievement!! It took me all my time to walk across the road from the Leisure centre to my B and B. Great report looking forward to the next installment. Well done. hope to meet up soon.
    Ally

    ReplyDelete