Thursday 25 June 2009

Over the Top - Interlude

So I thought I would take a moments interlude to try and put into words why the feck I was going about this mad thing.. How does a 42 y.o Thornlie Boy from Perth Western Australia end up at 01:30AM in Fort William Scotland about to embark on stage 2 of a 168 mile adventure..

I just don't know.. I am not a naturally sporty sort of bloke, I am one of those people who turns up to have a go, knowing full well that the pointy end of the race is somewhere I will never be.. I am not from a family of runners, though both my Mum and Dad have always been active in things.. I adopt a very minimalist approach to training, with peak mileage weeks rarely if ever getting into the 30's - outside my once a month long run.. Sure I give up beer when I am training for this gig, and caffeine, and I try to eat less crap (but don't succeed)... I have a relatively busy life, a very supportive family and 2 lovely girls who I don't want to spend all the time running away from, so I do what I can..

I do think a bit though.. And I try to visualise when I am half way round the 7 hills of Edinburgh on a cold and dark February morning, what it would be like to be in that place 20 hours later...

I was originally planning to do this mad thing in 2007 - the year of my 40th.. Someone once mentioned it on the Forum and when you look at the map, with the Way and the Great Glen only separated by 300m of road, it really does make sense..

I had the support crew all lined up, food packed but with one little problem... I always said it would depend how I was feeling at such and such a point, and maybe when I get to that place I will crack on.. So when I fell into a little mental dip before Bridge of Orchy, even though I was bang on my sub 24 hr pace, I decided to pull the pin on the bigger challenge.. Still cracked 24 in style so was pretty chuffed, but this has been niggling ever since ..

You can't achieve anything on a "maybe I'll do that", you are either in or out, you either set yourself a goal at the outset or you don't.. There is no half way house..

Not this time... Some people wondered why I wanted to just do the whole of the 2008 WHW as the Sweeper.. I am so grateful that Dario helped me do this, and that David Ruxton and his wonderful wife Trish were there to "sweep the sweeper".. It was absolutely sensational to run at the back of the pack and see people in various states of discomfort but still keep going .. And to spend time with Big Jim Robertson and think "oh geez I am doing it hard" only to look over at this bloke 26 years older than me and give myself a little cup of 'toughen the f**k up".. That run was the 33hr 43 min training for time on my legs, which you just can't get.. Then in Oct 2008 we did Great Glen over 2 days with DQ, Stan, Ellem, Mags, Jim, Stan, Ally, Neil and Eryk which gave me time on the route.

Also in 2008 I went camping with my girls to Loch Morlich, when I got a call from Shirl saying that Dario had been on the phone, telling me that the entries were open.. I asked her if I should do it and she said "If you want".. So I texted Mike, Gaz, Merv and Parky and said we were going "Over the Top".. I got a load of expletives back but also the only thing I needed - 4 texts saying "We'll be there"..

This year I have done more prep than ever before, running a lot with my mate Norman (more on him later) as we trained for the Fling.. Did the Glasgow to Edinburgh Double (boring as hell, but nice and flat and 53 miles in March is pretty good). Had some great runs with the folk of the Glee Club who always make the miles pass by with good humour - Gus, Jean, Michelle, Mags, DQ, Jim, Jon, Ian, Flip, Stan and I know I have missed so many..

And then a few other folk who I work with also agree to come along for the ride.. Matt, who was scheduled to do it in 2007 is in, Big Mikey who I run with at work says he'll do a stretch, Norman is in and Kristin who is this lovely Kiwi girl I work with (and a masseuse, and a pretty decent all round sports person) says she is in as well. I also get an offer from Stewie, who likes his cars, his bikes, his ciggies, has knackered knees from his army days, but would like to come along and drive if he could ..

So this is where I find myself just after leaving the Leisure Centre.. I am tired, but fit. I have friends by my side, family in Edinburgh, in Rockingham, the Thornlie Boys rooting me on.. I have Kristin with me to start the first 10 miles to Gairlochy.. It is a nice night, perfect for running... I think of all my friends and WHW family still out on the path.. I just feel ready, there is no reason that I can't do this.. So if there is no reason not to, you better just had...

(If you are following this blog, and you have a spare fiver, please consider clicking on the Just Giving Link at the top of the page.. After 5 days of turmoil following a poorly tested, badly implemented upgrade of the website, apparently it can now take donations again.. The money will go to a good cause, and a fiver is only a few gels and a can of coke..! Thanks for your support)

No comments:

Post a Comment