Sunday 4 October 2009

Support

Weekly running total - Monday out with Norman up Costorphine hill (twice) for a wee blast before he does Loch Ness. Wednesday a little trot with Ian Beattie - up some steps on the Water of Leith and then C. Hill again.. Both Ian and Norman are doing Loch Ness, and they are in fine fettle - hope it goes well for them ! Today a lazy 4 miler at lunch time with Ian King and others from work along the Water of Leith.. So a good few days... and only a few glasses of wine in between !! (well a bottle of Campo Viejo Rioja !! over 2 nights ...

Last weekend I had the privilege of having my suppport crew and families (minus Stuart McCormack) from this years little adventure around for a barby. this is the beast - my mate Mike made it - it is TOPS !!



We had the best weather and I really enjoyed getting the Big Barby out and cooking up for the 30 or so people who were there.. A few beers were had, and then a few wines.. And then a few more wines.. Luckily there were more sensible heads that prevailed when I wanted to set off a few fireworks..

So for Mike Johnson, John Kennedy, Merv Jones, Gary Haywood, Kristin Mitchell. Matt Stoner, Mike Smith, Norman Duncan and Stuart McCormack (who unfortunately could not be there), this one is for you ... Also thanks to Shirl, Kirsty, Caroline who are always there and Sandy, Zak, Ben, Anne, Pauline, Alex, Luke, Eloise, Anne Marie, Matt, Rachel, Jarrad, Alison, Brody, Jasmine, Sheena, Jenny, Katie and Laura, Shirley, and David and Trish Ruxton, thanks for a great day and also for lending me a mate for a day or 2 !

So I am doing this run
Do you want to come
And support me in this dream
It's a bit of a long way
And it is all about me
and what I want to do
What, you can make it
How did I get a friend like you ?

I am running
And
I can only do what I do
because you are there
and I will never forget

The miles are mounting
the midges are biting and annoying
the hell out of you
sitting in your car and I
am running

And then I get to where you are
and I see you and my eyes well up
when I see the bowl of porrige
or can of coke
or just the smile
I have made this goal
done that last mile
when I was feeling like shit
and needing you just to be there
for me
and I will never forget
that I am running which is a
privilege
and I owe it to you

And this is all about me
in this most selfish dream
and then towards the end
we share some miles
you keep me going through the dips
and pacing me, chatting away
I don't recall much of what you say
I can't save it for another day
but you are there
and I am running

which means
We are running
I am the legs
You are the engine, driving
Every step I take
Every mile
Ever bloody rock I kick
or hill I climb
I can't stop
not when we have come this far
We would only have to come back another day
To do it all again

And you have not given up
you are lying and tell me how good I look
In the moments that we share
when I ask for 'the thing' I need
You know the one
it's the, you know
it's at the bottom of the pack
you know - I am sure it's there
oh you've found it
no excuses then
you've done your bit
so I must do mine
Until the end
and we have done
what we set out to do
Only at the end
can we stop..

and now it is all over
and many months hence
So I did this bit of a run
and so did you
and supported me in this dream
It was a bit of a long way
And maybe it started off as all about me
and what I want to do
But we made it
And I am glad that I have a friend like you

No comments:

Post a Comment