Tuesday 18 August 2009

Test Cricket - The Ultra Running of Team Sports ?

Been feeling like I should write something for a few weeks, but have been struggling to find the time.. So a quick summary

Went to Birmingham for 5 days of cricket.. Now it is one of the things that I really miss living in Scotland - cricket... I love it ... I can watch football (just), I like rugby and other sports, but cricket is definitely my favorite.. No-one gives a hoot about it up here, it is just one of the crosses I must bare (just as well the hills are good ! )

So every 4 years when the Ashes comes by I make a point of heading down to England to get my fill.. This year (and in 2005) I made my way to Edgbaston in Birmingham for 5 days... People often say "Oh that must be so boring.." ... I have been thinking, and I reckon that test cricket is the Ultra Running of Team Sport.. In these days of instant gratification, of year round football, of penalty shoot outs and now now now results, Test Cricket over 5 days just should not fit in. It takes too long, people can't concentrate for that long can they anymore ? Sound familiar ??

So is it boring ?? Not for a moment.. The tension builds from the very first ball.. You can very rarely win a test in 2 hours... One team can get on top and be seemingly cruising, only for a someone to play an absolute blinder and turn the course of the game.. Each day brings a new challenge... There is always a chance of a turnaround... And best of all, there is beer... And mates... And you can sit there watching the game, having a chat, blowing the froth of a few and relaxing.. No agro, no hassle... Sensational..

And a Test it is.... Not only for the players, but also the spectators..

A standard day saw me wake at 730-8:00 AM and go for a trot with Gaz (K'leven to FW support runner) and my mate over from Oz Peter West.. Westy is 65 but still fit as a fiddle and great company... Not a long run, but 25-20 mins for a great hangover clearing start to the day.. Enter the ground at 9:30 - 10.. First pint at 10 :30 then on it all day... Carlsberg which is very weak, but needs must... After play closes it was out for dinner, then a pub or wherever to get home at around 1:30 ish to get ready for the next day.. When it rained (on the Thursday and Saturday) we either got a taxi into town for a 3hr lunch or went back to the flat to investigate the fridge..

They had these cracking "automatic" beer dispensing machines. The ist day we walked past and at least 1 of them was open at any time getting fixed.. On day 2 they were working... In order to get these "automatic" machines working, they had 1 person at the voucher dispensing unit helping you put your change in, then you handed your voucher to the bloke at the beer unit and he pressed the buttons and within a minute you had your pint.. 3 pints took 3 minutes.. Sensational... An automatic machine that needs 2 people and takes longer to pour a pint that I did to pi55 it out 2 hrs later... I love it !!

So after 5 days, the end result was 1) The Game: A Draw, 2) Subversive Behaviour: Lots !! 3) Runs: 4. 4) Money Spent: Are you kidding - who knows who might read this..

And it is game on again this Thursday in London .. I had a ticket for the Oval but have to pay the bills somehow so sold it to a mate.. He is a pom, so I hope he enjoys the day, but not too much !!

As an aside, cough still giving me grief but have managed a few runs.. My mate has shrugged that blouse off in style so it is currently looking for a new home.. Am toying with going to Strathaven on Sunday.. The idea of a lazy 50 miler and a hug from rhe lovely Lee is very tempting... But I might well be celebrating the Aussie demolition of the Poms so ....

Enjoy

3 comments:

  1. Well, if you don't come to Strathaven for a cuddle I'll just need to come to you.
    Stand by Corned Beef, Mrs Mac's coming to getcha.

    See ya Monday matey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Keith ~ I agree with you on the 5 day cricket, and have often thought about it as being on a par with an ultra run. The ebb 'n flow; the cut 'n thrust; the highs 'n lows; the long periods when (to the uninitiated) nothing is happening; the unpredictability of the outcome.

    Talking of outcome, how do you see the Oval match panning out???

    Murdo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty even day today, albeit the Poms a bit under par.. 308 not a bad knock.. Hopefully we can roll the rest in the AM then lets see what can happen.. Big total required from Aus - 500 plus !

    ReplyDelete