Saturday 26 June 2010

Down and Ups - Part 1

So here goes... A week ago this time I was just finishing crossing Rannoch Moor with George, Merv and a few other top folks..

9 days ago me and George and Steve were having a spot of dinner in the little Italian under the Bank St Hostel in Fort William .. I had travelled up from Edinburgh on the 8 AM train, heading to Glasgow and taking the West Highland Way line to Fort William.. Absolutely cracking day, sunshine and warm me sitting by myself trying to collect my thoughts and to be honest bricking myself at the thought of the run ahead.. Great views over Loch Lomond and then leaving Crianlarich, I could see the heat on the ground.. Have never been across Rannoch Moor to the East, what a blast..

Camped out in the Bank Street and managed some sleep.. George in a red g string arrived about 14:00 and we spent the next few hours trying to relax.. Slim chance, but got a few catnaps.. Had a walk and an OJ and a pokey hat, bit more sleep, just passing time.. Thinking and yeah bricking it ..

Still warm

Then we are at the Locaver Leisure Centre, nake a few calls to Aus.. It is 12:01, Shorts and T-Shirt, we start...
Early pace good to Braveheart Carpark (passing a bloke looking for the start of Ben Nevis ) then a good walk up the hill in about 40 mins or so .. Coming out of the forest I had my first fall, landing nicely on my knees and hitting my shoulder (nice bruise now ) Ok to Lundavra, lots of frogs. all soaking up the heat.. Lairig Moor was hard as usual, even on fresh legs it is a tough slog with all the rocks... Made good time to KLL where Steve net us, along with about a quadrillion billion of the locals.. My word they were thick.. Getting a juice from the car I thought I was going to be eaten alive so glad to get back on the road again.. The climb up to the Devils saw the sky becoming claer and the mounains all coming into view.. A pink tinge to the sky that cleared rapidly.. Topped out at the Devils, Rannoch and the south waiting expectently at our feet..

Making some good pace in the early light, just plodding along until the turn of the corner and the Kingshouse comes into view.. Ran through and then met Steve at Blackrock Cottage where we fueled up, dropped kit and went on our way.. Up the hill to the new checkpoint, then up and over. Shorts and t shirts, must have been about 16c and 6 ish in the morn ??

Rannoch flew past, walking the hills, finding the path, the gaps, running the downs, Ba Bridge, chatting some more .. Is this where we stop, nope its the next set of trees... Coming down past the last woodland, my left foot dug in and over I went .. Was not travelling particularlu fast, but was running and I went in quite hard.. Scuffed hands, blood..

Steve met us in Vic Bridge where we dumped kit for the short trip over the hill to BOO.. Really starting to warm up but we had been drinking plenty and both of us topping up with Nuun.. More food at BOO, check of the time and we were down so knew we had to make a push for Tyndrum.. Really started noticing the heat at the farm, but good running being had, light packs, doing ok. Still keeping better than 4s but knowing what was ahead, pace becoming a little niggle.. Made Brodies about 10 mins down on 24 hr pace so not too bad... Pot noodles, milk, juice and muller rice for ne ..

Leaving Tyndrum, along the river I heard the train and turning my head to it, walking along I twisted my ankle, the same one that I had twisted at the Fling.. And it hurt.. Bad.. George was hehind me and he went "Ow ".. So what followed was 8 miles of real pain.. Trying to run, not able to, knowing we had to make time, knowing that my pace now back to less that 4 miles / hr .. Really worrying that I would not be able to make it .. Through Auchtertyre tried to make some running but no joy.. George put some of his red g string stuff on my ankle which sorted it out a bit, still a bit flat..

Hills of Crianlarich were challending, with the heat really starting to get up, the sun beating down on my floppy hat, George just putting one foot in front of the other.. Up and down, like my mood and doubts starting to creep in.. Steve met us at Carmyle, had a drink then we were on our way.. I told George I would need to have a swim at Derrydarroch..

Oh the soothing waters of Derrydarroch
Your cooling embrace
returned my state of grace
eased my limbs and my mind
gave me focus
and release..

Climbed over the fence a bloke having a bit of a sook.. George had gone on.. When I came out of the waters, I started walking and shouting .. Loud.. Rude words, questions, what did you want to do this for, DID YOU NOT THINK IT WAS GOING TO BE HARD ?? YOU *&^&*&(%^ GET THE 6$^&$^&*(&^$%£ AND TTFU..

Caught up with George, running.. Hard hot yards ahead, Beinglas could not come soon enough.. An ice cold coke and Steve the man..

More later ..

1 comment:

  1. Someone said to me that they thought you and George had raised the bar and people will be following the challenge. Just like Jez's winter WHW. I told them that was rediculous, as there's only two ejits mad enough for this.

    See you soon xx

    ReplyDelete